Sheriff’s Department responds to fatal accident, non-fatal shooting incident

Published 7:00 am Thursday, May 5, 2016

Tuesday night the Pearl River County Sheriff’s Department worked two incidents, one involved a 13-year-old boy being hit by a vehicle while riding his bike at night, the other involved a 20-year-old man accidentally shooting his 20-year-old friend.
Chief Deputy Shane Tucker said the vehicle accident occurred along Old Highway 11 in Carriere Tuesday night at 9:30 as a 21-year-old male was driving down the road and struck a 13-year-old boy riding his bike. Both the vehicle and bicycle were in the southbound lane. The boy was identified as Gabriel Lossett of Carriere, said Pearl River County Coroner Derek Turnage. Lossett was taken to Highland Community Hospital where he died as a result of multiple traumas, including a cervical fracture, Turnage said.
When the boy was struck, he was thrown from his bicycle into a ditch. Tucker said the driver of the 1982 Toyota Landcruiser stopped and submitted to blood tests. There was no indication that the unnamed driver was intoxicated at the time of the accident, but an investigation is ongoing. Tucker said the Mississippi Highway Patrol accident reconstruction team has been requested to investigate the accident further, which will also determine if speed was a factor.
Turnage said the boy did not have lights on his bike.
No charges have been pressed against the driver at this time, Tucker said.
The shooting was called in at 8:17 that same night. Deputies responded to Willow Bend Trailer Park where they found the victim lying in the road. He was taken to Highland Community Hospital for treatment.
Investigation into the incident has so far determined that the two men were in a home when the gun owner was putting up his newly acquired shotgun. As he put it up, it accidentally discharged, striking his friend in the right side of his mid back. Tucker said the victim was sitting at a computer when the gun went off. The victim left the residence to seek help, while the gun owner got scared and left the scene. The gun owner has since been interviewed by investigators, stating the incident was an accident in part due to his unfamiliarity with the firearm.
Tucker said the initial investigation shows the shooting was an accident.
“There’s no evidence at this point of foul play, but we still need to talk with the victim when he recovers,” Tucker said.
While the victim was listed as being in critical condition when he arrived at the hospital, he underwent surgery at 1 a.m. and was last listed as being in stable condition, Tucker said.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox