Recently installed fire alarm saves couple from fire

Published 7:00 am Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Recently installed fire alarm system could be the reason a couple is alive today.

Pearl River County Fire Marshal Albert Lee said the call came in on Thursday just after 4 a.m. to the county’s emergency dispatch from an alarm center alerting them to a fire at a home located at 797 Union School Road. 

Deputies Chad Prestridge and Shane Edgar arrived to find the home fully involved, but the couple standing safely outside.  Lee said the homeowners, Frank and Dana Branch, were only able to escape the home with what they were wearing at the time. Volunteer firefighters from the Nicholson Volunteer Fire Department responded and put the fire out, but the home suffered major damage and as such was classified as a total loss. 

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

The couple was transported to Highland Community Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation and Frank was additionally treated for minor burns, Lee said. 

Lee said the couple is alive today because of the alarm system, which was installed just months ago by the couple’s son. 

The fire marshal hopes that all residents have working smoke detectors or fire alarm systems in their homes. 

If for some reason they don’t, assistance can be provided by local fire departments. 

Anyone interested in securing smoke alarms can contact their local fire department, or Lee, to see about receiving assistance.

Lee said this was the second time this year that a smoke detector saved the lives of county residents.