Picayune beats West Harrison 51-14 to remain undefeated

Published 7:00 am Sunday, October 26, 2014

DEFENSE: Maroon Tide wide receiver Tyler Smith has a pass blocked by Hurricane's wide receiver Gary Perkins during Friday's game. The Tide won 51-14. Photo by Jeremy Pittari

DEFENSE: Maroon Tide wide receiver Tyler Smith has a pass blocked by Hurricane’s wide receiver Gary Perkins during Friday’s game. The Tide won 51-14.
Photo by Jeremy Pittari

What initially looked like a tight game for the Maroon Tide by halftime turned into what Picayune fans have come to expect from their still undefeated team, strong offense and defense.
However, the first half of the game went into halftime with a tied score 14-14 between Picayune and West Harrison.
Whatever was said in the locker room during half time lit a fire in the Tide’s second half performance.
“It wasn’t no place for small children and women in there at halftime,” Tide Head Coach Dodd Lee said.
The second half is where the Tide scored the majority of their 51 points over the Hurricane’s 14.
The first half the Hurricanes gave the Tide some competition.
But the Tide made the first scoring play in the first quarter with 6:39 left to play when running back Gerrell Keaton carried the ball a yard into the end zone, putting the Tide at an early 7-0 lead.
In the Hurricane’s first possession quarterback Demarius Ray threw completed a pass to wide receiver Gary Perkins for a big touchdown of more than 50 yards. A successful two-point conversion gave the Hurricanes a lead of 8-7 with 6:16 left to play.
In the second quarter the Tide took the lead again when quarterback Skylar Bowman completed a pass to running back Vyron Brown from their 35-yard line for a huge touchdown. Their successful extra point put the score at 14-8 with 9:46 left in the half.
West Harrison tried to drive the ball down the field during their subsequent possession, but only got within field goal range. However the attempt was blocked.
Three turnovers later the Hurricanes had possession of the ball again. Ray would utilize a successful pass to wide receiver Desmond Thompson for a 19-yard touchdown with only 10 seconds left in the half. The missed extra point left the score tied as both teams headed to half time.
When both teams took the field again, the Tide was full of energy, using their control of the ball to drive from their 28-yard line towards the end zone through 13 plays and six first downs to enable Bowman to run the ball one yard into the end zone. The score was then 21-14 with 6:24 left in the third quarter.
During the Hurricane’s next possession Ray fumbled the hike, which flew between his legs. Instead of trying to recover the ball, he kicked it toward the end zone, resulting in a Tide safety, giving the Tide two more points. The score was then 23-14 and the Tide got the ball.
Picayune wasted no time with that possession. It took only two plays before Bowman would complete a 30-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Tyler Smith. The score was then 30-14 with the successful extra point.
Picayune would score again in the third with 1:12 left in the quarter when running back Josh Littles ran 21 yards for a touchdown, putting the score at 37 -14 with the extra point.
In the fourth quarter Bowman completed another touchdown pass, this time to Devin Hedgepeth, putting the score at 44-14 with 9:54 left to play in the fourth.
The final touchdown of the night came when Brown ran the ball for a 10 yard score with less than two minutes in the game.
The successful extra point left the final score at 51-14.
“It was all about effort and attitude,” Lee said.
Lee said the key to the team’s successful effort in the second half was due to putting forth a better effort.
The undefeated team looks poised to bring home another championship trophy, but Lee said there is still work to do in practice.
“I’m not embarrassed to say it. We’re not good enough to go very far in the playoffs right now,” Lee said.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox