Pancake breakfast to raise money for special needs community

Published 7:00 am Friday, November 17, 2017

On Dec.1, Picayune’s Kiwanis Club will host its annual pancake breakfast to raise money for special needs residents in the Pearl River County area.

Founded in 1979 in Picayune, the club is among the many others located across the country.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“We are a group of 28 civic-minded businessmen trying to do our best to serve the community,” said Tom Milar, president of the Kiwanis Club of Picayune.

Every year members of the club host three fundraisers, including a golf tournament, a raffle for gift cards and the pancake breakfast.

Milar said 75 percent of the funds raised from each of these events help local people with special needs while the other 25 percent are set aside for children’s, such as the back pack program.

The funds also help the group sponsor Picayune’s Special Olympics held in March each year.

Annually, the club awards two scholarships to Pearl River Community College and donates money to Pearl River County schools for their special education classes.

Milar said membership to Kiwanis is open to all. Those interested will need an invite from one of the club members to their weekly luncheons, held every Thursday at noon at Southern Char.

“If our meetings are of any interest to them, the membership dues are $120, plus the cost of meals,” Milar said.

“We are a fantastic club that works towards the betterment of the community and would like everyone to support us for this good cause,” Miler said.

The pancake breakfast will be held Dec.1 at Southern Char Steakhouse, located on West Canal Street, from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. Tickets are $5.  To learn more about the Kiwani’s Club and its fundraisers or contact Milar at 601-273-2131.