Blue Devils take the wind out of Hurricanes, 34-27

Published 11:18 pm Friday, October 13, 2017

WEST HARRISON —Despite a second-half rally by West Harrison, the Blue Devils earned a hard-fought 34-27 victory, their first of the season.

With less than five minutes left in the game, Pearl River Central ran out the clock nine times for 35 yards to secure the victory against the Hurricanes.

“They been working hard, it’s nice to get that monkey off your back and it’s all about the kids and I’m proud they got one,” Pearl River Central coach Larry Dolan said.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“It’s a good one, we’re proud to get it, that’s for sure.”

PRC jumped to an early lead as Willie Reece rushed for his first score of the night off a nine-yard run, which capped off a four-play, 34-yard drive.

After forcing a punt, PRC scored their second touchdown of the night when Tristan Anderson rushed for a 16-yard score.

In the second possession of the Hurricanes, Damon Anderson intercepted a pass from Dylan Anderson, which gave the Blue Devils the ball at their own 40-yard line.

Cody Skoda scored what looked to be the third touchdown of the night for PRC, but a holding penalty forced the points off the scoreboard and forced a 1st-and-goal from the 21-yard line.

Three plays later, Kobe Whitehead would score the third touchdown of the game for PRC, which gave them a 21-0 lead with 11:22 left in the second quarter.

The Blue Devils defense stopped West Harrison on a 4th-and-11, but a defensive pass interference gave the Hurricanes an automatic first down, which kept the drive alive.On the next play, Rudy Faulkner rushed for a 20-yard score for West Harrison, the team’s first of the night.

With just over two minutes left in the first half, Cameron Brunson connected with Anderson for a 61-yard score.

With less than a minute left in the first half, the Hurricanes’ Ahmad Gage scored on a 30-yard touchdown pass by Anderson.

West Harrison cut the Blue Devil’s lead to seven points as Anderson scored during a 4th-and-inches play on the Hurricanes first possession of the second half.

Whitehead scored the final touchdown for PRC and his second of the night, as he rushed for a one-yard score, which gave the Blue Devils a 34-20 lead with 8:33 left in the game.

Anderson connected with Jeremiah Lane for an 8-yard score for the Hurricanes with 5:06 left in the game, but it was too little too late.

“Anytime you hold the ball that long, you’re doing something right. But it’s nice to get something for their hard work, we’ll enjoy it and celebrate it until Sunday and then start getting ready for next Friday,” Dolan said.

The Devils (1-7) will host Gautier (2-7) at home Friday. Kickoff is at 7 p.m.