Hornets sting Panthers

Published 7:00 am Saturday, November 12, 2016

Poplarville's Jesse Pernell is taken down by Quitman Kingston Jordan during Friday's playoff game in Poplarville. Photo by Julia Arenstam

Poplarville’s Jesse Pernell is taken down by Quitman Kingston Jordan during Friday’s playoff game in Poplarville.
Photo by Julia Arenstam

Poplarville’s defense once again proved too strong for another challenger, this week holding off the Quitman Panthers to advance to the next round of the District 4A playoffs.
In a heavy second half, the Poplarville Hornets drove in four touchdowns, ending the game 33-12.
In the first half, both offenses remained strong, receiving numerous flags, and fighting against the cold, they both brought in one touchdown each.
Quitman’s quarterback Jed Lewis maintained his preference for passing plays, scoring the first touchdown of the game by passing the ball to Dontavious Hall with 3:29 left in the first quarter. However, the team failed their attempt at a two-point conversion.
The Hornets took control of the ball in the second quarter until Poplarville’s Austin Bolton pushed the ball into the end zone with just under two minutes left in the half. Poplarville’s field goal put them in the lead, 7-6.
In the second quarter, the ball changed hands more frequently.
Poplarville’s quarterback Antonio Barnes made a successful pass from their 49-yard line to Cannan Ray who ran it to the end zone.
However, Poplarville failed to get the ball through the uprights before Quitman took the ball.
The ball continued to change hands quickly in the third quarter as the referees called penalties on both teams for false starts and holding.
Quitman fought back against Poplarville’s scoring streak, with Lewis bringing in a touchdown with seconds to go in the third quarter. Lewis failed to pass the ball to Hall, missing a two-point conversion and leaving them just behind Poplarville, 13-12.
In the fourth quarter, Bolton ran in a touchdown with 11:37 left in the game. A field goal brought the score to 20-12.
Poplarville’s Turan Smith caught an interception thrown by Lewis, but control of the ball was soon lost due to a fumble.
Poplarville’s Aritaeus Johnson followed Smith’s lead, nabbing another interception and allowing Ray to catch a touchdown pass with 7:44 left in the game.
Quitman’s quarterback then performed a series of incomplete passes, unable to make another scoring play.
Poplarville’s Jesse Pernell made his first score of the game later than usual, running to the end zone with 1:59 left in the game. After a flag was called on Poplarville’s point after touchdown attempt, they changed it up to a two-point conversion pass, which also failed.
Poplarville Head Coach Jay Beech again noted their strong defense, and the turnaround the team made after halftime, bringing home another win.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

About Julia Arenstam

Staff Writer

email author More by Julia