Two men with ties to Picayune found dead in other communities

Published 7:00 am Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Updated July 14 to add connection between the death’s of Spooner and Fountain. 

Two men from Picayune have been found dead in neighboring areas.

The first case comes from the New Orleans’s Coroner’s Office, who has officially confirmed the identity of a homicide victim in New Orleans from July 6 as being 35-year-old Matthew Spooner of Picayune, said New Orleans Police Department Senior Public Information Officer Dawne Massey.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

A press release from NOPD states they received a call about a shooting in the 2100 block of N. Miro Street in New Orleans around 1:12 a.m. that day. NOPD officers found an unconscious man suffering from a gunshot wound to the head. He was pronounced dead at the scene, the release states.

NOPD Detective Robert Barrere is leading the homicide investigation and declined to comment because the investigation is ongoing.

The Times-Picayune reported Tuesday that Spooner recently left the Simon City Royals gang to form the Sip City Royals gang in an effort to promote charity and build the community.

A second man with ties to the Picayune area was found dead in the Shoreline Park area of Waveland yesterday.

Hancock County Coroner Jim Faulk confirmed the identity of the man to be Jeremy Paul Fountain, 35. When found, the body was heavily decomposed, forcing investigators to use dental records to confirm his identity, said Faulk.

Early examination shows Fountain was deceased for at least several days, said Faulk, but official information will be released pending an autopsy scheduled for Wednesday morning.

“We would like to confirm that we are working with the New Orleans PD Homicide Division on the death of Jeremy Fountain, who was found dead in a wooded area of Waveland a few days ago. The death of Mr. Fountain is related to the recent homicide of Matthew Spooner, who was found dead in New Orleans,” said Waveland Police Department Chief David Allen in a press release July 14.

Allen said the case is still being investigated and no further information would be released at this time.

About Julia Arenstam

Staff Writer

email author More by Julia