Police arrest one man for Sat. shooting

Published 9:01 am Friday, October 23, 2015

One man is in custody after allegedly shooting another man in the wrist Saturday at the Magnolia Arms Apartments.

Picayune Police Department Assistant Police Chief Jeremy Magri said Diamante Myers, 22, of 2105 Cousin St., allegedly shot the male victim reportedly over a financial disagreement. Magri said he did not know how much money might have been involved.

He said police were dispatched to the apartment complex on Forest Street at 7:17 p.m.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“Upon officers’ arrival, they observed the victim lying on the ground with a bullet wound to his right wrist,” Magri said. “Officers requested an ambulance to the scene. Upon the ambulance’s arrival the victim was loaded and transported to Highland Community Hospital.”

Magri said detectives began their investigation

inside the apartment where detectives found a .380 shell casing. They also quickly deduced the motive.

“Through their investigation it was learned the victim and the suspect, Diamente Myers, had got into a verbal argument at the apartment complex over some money. At which time Myers allegedly pulled a gun and shot the victim, striking him in the right wrist. Myers then fled the scene,” said Magri.

From there, Magri said police issued a warrant for Myers, on the charge of aggravated assault. Police did not have to wait long to catch up with Myers.

“The following morning at 9.28 a.m., officers observed Myers as a passenger in a vehicle traveling on Memorial Boulevard. Officers then conducted a traffic stop at Memorial Boulevard near Telly Road. Upon officers removing Myers from the vehicle, they recovered a .380 caliber pistol that Myers was sitting on.”

Magri said officers believe the gun to be the same weapon used to shoot the victim’s wrist the prior evening.

The assistant chief said Myers was charged with aggravated assault and he is still in jail at the criminal justice center, awaiting his preliminary hearing. His bond has been set at $125,000.