Local man given 78 months for meth distribution

Published 7:00 am Wednesday, October 7, 2015




A Picayune man was sentenced to more than six years in prison after he pleaded guilty to distributing methamphetamine in Pearl River and Hancock counties.

This week, 27-year-old Jaron D. Stubbs of 400 N. Abrams Ave. was sentenced to 78 months in prison after he pleaded guilty to a federal charge of possession of crystal methamphetamine with intent to distribute. He also faces $3,500 in fines and five years of post-release supervision, according to court records filed with the U.S. District Court of the Southern District of Mississippi.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

A second suspect, 55-year-old Gerald Calhoun of East Second St. in Carriere, is already serving a five-year sentence for the same charge, including four years of post-release supervision and will have to pay $3,000 in fines. He also pleaded guilty after an investigation showed he and Stubbs worked together to distribute crystal methamphetamine, the Item reported in June.

A federal grand jury indicted both men in January on three conspiracy charges and one count of possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute. The investigation began when an MBN confidential informant notified agents about the distribution. After receiving the tip, MBN sent the informant undercover, equipped with a video and audio recorder, in order to obtain methamphetamine from Calhoun, who would distribute the drugs while Stubbs supplied them, according to the court records.

The six-month investigation was a joint effort between the Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics, the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Hancock County Sheriff’s Department and the Picayune Police Department, according to previous coverage.

During that time, agents were able to record several transactions—two in Waveland and one in Picayune, the latter of which was the sale of crystal methamphetamine for $1,300, according to court records.

Both men had prior convictions. Calhoun was sentenced to 15 years in prison for a federal drug conspiracy with 14 years suspended while Stubbs was convicted for possession of marijuana, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and failure to comply with an officer’s request, according to previous Item coverage. Stubbs also has pending charges of aggravated assault and three counts of shooting into a dwelling in Picayune, the Item reported in January.