Poplarville grounds Hancock Hawks, 28-3

Published 9:35 am Monday, September 21, 2015

Kiln—It was a showdown 17 years in the making in Kiln Friday night when the Poplarville Hornets took on the Hancock Hawks. The teams had not played each other since 1998.
Utilizing about 10 quarterback sacks and a tough defense, the Hornets grounded the Hawks during their homecoming game, 28 to 3.
The Hawks won the coin toss, but deferred the ball to the Hornets in the first quarter.
A holding penalty and Hawks defense kept the Hornets from scoring during their first few plays.
The Hawks gained the ball at the 10-yard line. It appeared their offense would run the ball down the field with a 30-yard run by Hawk linebacker Trenton Ladner, but he was stopped at the 47-yard line by Hornets safety Aritaeus Johnson.
A fumble on the play was recovered by Hornet defensive end Jamerrick Waller. However, no score was made on the play.
At the end of the first quarter, neither team had crossed the end zone.
The Hawks had control of the ball in the second quarter and a completed field goal by Hawks’ kicker Eliot Nolan put the Hawks on the scoreboard, for the only time that evening.
With three minutes left in the half, fullback Jesse Pernell scored the first touchdown. Kicker Nicholas Kirschbaum’s kick was good for the extra point. The Hornets were on the board, 7-3.
During the second half of the game, the Hawks had possession of the ball, but not for long, as there were two more fumbles on the plays, both recovered by Hornet defensive end Jamerrick Waller at the Hornet 24-yard line.
With eight minutes to go in the third quarter, Pernell ran the ball into the end zone for another Hornet touchdown, which brought the score to 14-3.
During the fourth quarter, the Hornets’ defense continued to prevent Hawks’ quarterback Aaron Feazelle from throwing the ball.
With six minutes remaining in the game, Pernell ran the ball in for another touchdown, which brought the score to 21-3.
At about the four-minute marker, Pernell once again ran the ball in for a 40-yard touchdown.
The final score, Hornets 28, Hawks 3.
Coach Jay Beech said he was proud of his team’s performance.
“Our defense played outstanding,” he said. “To hold an offense like Hancock without a touchdown was great. Pernell did a good, solid job. Hancock’s defense was playing tough, with a whole lot of openings in there and we toughed it out till the fourth quarter.”
Friday’s win brought the Hornets season record to 3 and 2.
The next Hornets game will be played against Greene County in Poplarville on Oct. 2 beginning at 7 p.m., which will be school’s first district game.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox