Local men arrested for drug conspiracy

Published 7:00 am Saturday, January 10, 2015











Jaron D. Stubbs, 27, of 400 N. Abrams Ave., who was charged earlier this month in Picayune for aggravated assault and three counts of shooting into a dwelling, is making headlines again.

Local Picayune residents, Stubbs and 55-year-old Gerald Calhoun of East 2nd St. were arrested on federal warrants on Tuesday, Jan. 6 after the Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics charged both men with “conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute a controlled substance” of 50 grams or more of crystal methamphetamine, according to court records filed with the U.S. District Court of the Southern District of Mississippi.

For the past six months, MBN has led the methamphetamine-distribution investigation, along with the assistance from the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Hancock County Sheriff’s Department, and the Picayune Police Department, a press release from the MBN stated.

According to the court records, an MBN confidential informant notified the agency of the alleged distribution. The informant told MBN that Stubbs and Calhoun worked as a team to distribute the drug. The informant stated that Stubbs was the supplier while Calhoun would distribute the drugs to the actual customers on a regular basis in the area of Pearl River and Hancock County.

After receiving the tip, MBN, along with local law enforcement, began the investigation by sending the informant undercover equipped with a video and audio recorder in order to obtain the crystal methamphetamine, as stated in the court records.

The court records also stated the drugs were sent to the Department of Homeland Security for testing a number of times, and every time, the presence of methamphetamine hydrochloride was found.

On Wednesday, Jan. 7 Calhoun and Stubbs were both detained, without bond, under the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service in federal court, according to the press release.

Before being taken into custody, Stubbs was imprisoned in the Picayune Police Department for the previously mentioned charges.

Picayune Police Department Assistant Chief Jeremy Magri said the department wasn’t involved in the investigation, however Stubbs was questioned by the federal officers at the Picayune Police Department and was transferred from their facility before being taken into federal custody.

According to court records, both Calhoun and Stubbs will remain in custody until the disposition of court proceedings.