Neighbors help prevent fire

Published 7:00 am Tuesday, November 25, 2014

A home on Millbrook Parkway suffered only minor damage on Nov. 15 thanks to the help of good Samaritans. The fire was the result of a trashcan catching on fire, melting a portion of the eave on the house.

Before the fire could spread to other parts of the house, the homeowner’s neighbors rushed to help extinguish the blaze with a garden hose. Thanks to the good Samaritans, the fire was extinguished when the Picayune Fire Department arrived.

Firefighters checked the attic of the home to ensure that the structure was safe, but did not have to spray any water, said Picayune Fire Department Captain Cathy Hunt, who added that the neighbors had managed to put the fire out before it got to the attic.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“If the fire had reached the attic, it could have gotten really bad,” said Hunt.