Fire caused by child

Published 7:00 am Saturday, July 26, 2014

Picayune Fire Department responded to a duplex fire on the afternoon of July 17 at 900 Telly Road.

Fire Marshall Pat Weaver said the fire was accidental.

“The fire started in one of the bedrooms,” Marshall said. “A child was playing with a cigarette lighter.”

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Marshall said there were no major injuries.

Weaver said the mother was transported for a minor wound received while using a fire extinguisher.