Girl burned after playing with fire
Published 7:00 am Thursday, April 10, 2014
An 11-year-old girl is in stable condition after being burned on Sunday, said Pearl River County Sheriff’s Department Chief Deputy Shane Tucker.
Tucker said the sheriff’s department responded to the call on Sunday at 12:43 p.m.
The three children included the 11-year-old girl, a nine-year-old boy and a seven-year-old boy who were playing in a yard on Eloise Street in Nicholson Sunday afternoon. During that time they came across a gasoline can, Tucker said.
He said the children poured the gasoline in a bowl and lit it on fire, one of the boys got scared and kicked the bowl over in an attempt to extinguish the fire, Tucker said.
When the bowl was kicked over, the young girl was splashed with the lit gasoline and was burned on her lower extremities, Tucker said. The girl immediately ran home and was then transported by AAA Ambulance Services to Oschner Hospital in Slidell, La., Tucker said.
The girl has been since transported to a burn unit in Baton Rouge, La. and is reported as being in stable condition, Tucker said.
Tucker said the fire was extinguished shortly after the girl ran home when one of the boys placed a board over the fire to smoother it.
“Right now, the investigation has showed the incident was a tragic accident,” Tucker said.