Stolen car involved in high-speed chase

Published 7:00 am Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Jason Ryals

Jason Ryals


The Picayune Police Department was involved in a high-speed chase, which resulted in recovery of a stolen vehicle and the arrest of Jason Ryals, 37, of 201 Clark St. for possession of stolen property and DUI first offense, said, Jeremy Magri, assistant to the chief.

Magri said that on March 13 at 9:43 p.m., officers observed a vehicle traveling west on Jackson Landing Road with out a tag light.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

As the officer attempted to conduct a traffic stop a Jackson Landing Road and Charlotte Drive, he was advised the vehicle had just been stolen from Third Avenue, Magri said.

“At this time the vehicle accelerated northbound on Charlotte Drive and continued north, refusing to stop as officers signaled with sirens and lights for him to do so,” Magri said.

The officers continued to pursue the vehicle and observed it running through as stop sign and driving recklessly, as it continued down Union School Road, on to Huppo Road and finally stopping on Mildred Dotson Road after swerving down Palestine Road, Magri said.

Upon coming to a stop, the officers ordered Ryals out of the car, and he was taken into custody, but not before he resisted by attempting to jerk away from and kicking the two officers. After the officers subdued him, Ryals was placed in the patrol unit, Magri said.

Ryals was initially arrested for failure to yield to blue lights and sirens, resisting arrest, running a stop sign, improper lane usage, speeding, driving while license suspended and reckless driving, Magri said.

“While at the scene, officers were able to smell a strong, intoxicating substance on Ryals, who was being transported to the Criminal Justice Center,” Magri said. “Upon arrival to the Criminal Justice Center, and while speaking with Ryals, they observed his eyes to be bloodshot and speech to be slurred. Ryals was then offered several standardized field sobriety tests. As a result of the test he was also charged with DUI first offense and then additionally charged with receiving stolen property.”

Ryals was then booked and incarcerated on said charges, Magri said.