Quick actions save two from fire
Two young children suffered injuries from a fire on Oliver Davis Road on Thursday, but will survive due to the quick actions of two people.
The fire occurred Thursday morning at 38 Oliver Davis Rd. The call reporting the fire came in shortly after midnight, said Pearl River County Fire Marshal Albert Lee.
Lee said 11-year-old Janicea Arrington awoke that night to use the rest room and saw smoke. When she checked to see where the smoke was originating, she found the living room was on fire, and quickly awakened her grandmother and grandfather. Two other children were still in the house however, so young Arrington went to a neighboring house where she found 25-year-old Steven Kendrick. Kendrick broke out the bedroom window where the children were sleeping and was able to retrieve a three-year-old and a seven-year-old.
Both the three-year-old and seven-year-old were transported to Highland Community Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation before being sent to Children’s Hospital in New Orleans, Lee said.
The three-year-old is in good condition, the fire marshal said, but the seven-year-old is on a ventilator for treatment of a collapsed lung. He said the seven-year-old is expected to make a full recovery.
“She is listed as critical, but she is improving,” Lee said of the seven-year-old.
The inside of the home suffered extensive damage, and the cause of the fire has been deemed accidental. A cigarette left on the couch is the probable cause, Lee said.
Firefighters with Nicholson Volunteer Fire Department and Picayune Fire Department responded within minutes of the call.
“The fire departments did an excellent job of knocking down the fire and containing it,” Lee said.
Pearl River County Tax Assessor-Collector Gary Beech said homeowners can obtain significant savings on their ad valorem tax bills if... read more