Two fires take two lives
Published 1:45 pm Friday, April 29, 2011
Two separate fires each took a life on Tuesday.
A fire at a home on Minnie Furr road early Tuesday morning took the life of 60 year-old Jane Salomone Aaron, said Pearl River County Coroner Derek Turnage. Turnage said Aaron died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning and smoke inhalation.
Tuesday night a fire in the northern part of Hancock County took the life of a four-year-old girl, Keyleigh Jenkins, according to WLOX Television. Hancock County Coroner Norma Stiglet said she just received the cause of death on Thursday, which states Jenkins died as a result of burns suffered in the fire, combined with carbon monoxide poisoning.
Pearl River County Fire Marshal Albert Lee said the fire that took Aaron’s life is believed to have started in the early morning hours, possibly between 1 and 5 a.m. Aaron’s home was located down a moderately long driveway behind a thick cover of trees and brush, so the fire was not discovered until the next morning when a caretaker arrived to bring Aaron her breakfast.
The fire that took Jenkin’s life occurred at Scenic Trails Camp Ground on V-Bar Road in northern Hancock County, WLOX reported. A neighbor noticed the fire as he was getting ready for bed, and when he approached, he saw both of Jenkin’s parents leave the burning travel trailer through windows. The four-year-old was still inside. Neighbors told WLOX that they could hear the child’s screams during the blaze.
Both the parents, Dana Harvey and Michael Jenkins were taken to the USA Medical Burn Center in Mobile, Ala., where they are listed as being in serious condition, WLOX reported. The story also states the family lived in Pearl River County until about a year ago, moving to Scenic Trails after their Pearl River County home with all of their belongings was lost in an earlier fire.