Shot said fired into car in Picayune

Published 1:24 am Sunday, November 21, 2010

On Wednesday, a Picayune resident notified the Picayune Police Department that he was shot at while riding in his car.

No charges have been filed as a result of the incident and no severe injuries were reported, said Picayune Deputy Police Chief David Ervin. However, the incident is still under investigation, he said.

Ervin said the department received a call of an aggravated assault on Wednesday at about 2:12 p.m. in the area of Victoria Drive and Union School Road.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Before officers arrived at the scene the victim, 41 year-old Adonnis Smith of 221 Jarrell St., pulled up to an officer who was working an accident scene on Palestine Road, the deputy police chief said. Ervin said Smith told to the officer that while he was in the area of Victoria Drive, a man he knows, 31 year-old Michael Burnett, of 602 S. Blanks, shot at his vehicle.

Investigation into the incident discovered that at about 10 a.m. the same day, Smith had spoken to Burnett about getting some money that was owed to him by Burnett but Burnett said he did not have the money and would get it for Smith later that day, Ervin said. Then, just after 2 p.m., a silver four-door sedan pulled up to Smith’s vehicle as it was driving in the area of Victoria Drive, Ervin said. Burnett got out of the silver car and approached Smith’s vehicle, the deputy chief said. When he got within five feet of Smith’s vehicle, Burnett allegedly fired a shot at Smith’s vehicle, Ervin said.

Smith told investigators that when he saw Burnett with the gun he ducked, so the bullet did not hit him, Ervin said. A bullet was found in the passenger seat of Smith’s vehicle and the window was broken, apparently from the bullet making entry into the car, the deputy police chief said.

After the shot was fired into Smith’s vehicle, he fled the scene and found the officer working the accident near Palestine Road, Ervin said. Smith suffered cuts to his hands from the broken glass but was not struck by the bullet, Ervin said.

Burnett was taken into custody a short time later and interviewed, but at the end of the interview, officers did not have enough evidence to substantiate probable cause, so Burnett was released without charges being pressed, Ervin said.

The investigation is continuing, but as with any case, the victim has the option to file an affidavit with the municipal court if he chooses, Ervin said.