2 die in Gulfport fire

Published 6:38 pm Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Gulfport officials say an accidental fire that claimed the lives of a retired couple probably started in the kitchen.

Firefighters found 74-year-old James Dennis and his 67-year-old wife, Patricia, just inside the front door of their home after the blaze was reported at 12:48 a.m. Monday.

Deputy Fire Chief Billy Bragg tells The Sun Herald the fire may have started from an electrical failure.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Harrison County Coroner Gary Hargrove said autopsies showed the husband and wife died of smoke inhalation.