Hancock sweeps county tourney

Published 7:02 am Sunday, November 22, 2009

By Dwayne Bremer

Item Sports Correspondent

KILN — The Hancock Hawks won their county tournament Saturday evening with a hard-fought 49-46 victory over the Pearl River Central Blue Devils.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

The Hawks jumped out to a 17-7 lead after the first period and held on late, despite several charges by the Devils.

PRC Head Coach Austin Alexander said afterwards that his team did not capitalize on its opportunities.

“Nothing against Hancock, but we didn’t get the job done,” he said. “We beat ourselves and did not make some smart decisions.”

PRC was led by Jordan Fairconetue who collected 16 points on the evening, but he missed a lay-up with 30 seconds to play which would have tied the game.

Hancock pushed the lead to four seconds later when Jake Moran got behind the Devil’s defense for an easy bucket.

A three-pointer by Dennan Seal with just two seconds to play closed the gap, but Hancock’s Alex Meyer sealed the game with a free-throw and a desperation heave at the buzzer by PRC fell short.

The Hawks had three players, Moran, Zach Craft, and Sunni Palode, score ten points on the night. Allen Deschamp added nine more and was the top rebounder for the Hawks with 10.

Hawks Head Coach Chris Biehl praised PRC and said his defense was the main factor in the victory.

“We did not shoot well, but we beat a very well-coached disciplined team tonight,” he said. “Its always good to win your tournament and we can hang this one on our defense.”

For PRC Andre Broadwater added eight..

In the consolation games Saturday, Picayune’s boys and girls both notched victories.

The Lady Tide beat PRC 46-41 in a close game that was not decided until Andrea Jackson hit two free-throws in the final seconds.

Keanna Magee led all scorers with 18 points and Arianna McGill dropped in 11.

For PRC, Megan Calcote collected 11 points and Natasha Holloway chipped in seven.

Picayune’s boys team cruised to an easy 58-10 victory against Coastal Collegiate Academy.

Marcus Rawls dominated in the paint for the Maroon Tide collecting a double/double with 20 points and 11 boards. Jorion Littles added nine points and Alvin Richard collected nine.

“It was an opportunity for us to play a game and we got a win,” Tide Head Coach Tom Taylor said. “It allowed us to get some of the guys some game-time experience and that will help.”

The Tide has been playing with only seven players. Taylor said he hopes to get several players back next week, now that football season is over.

In the girls championship game, Hancock held off a pesky Sildell team to take a 55-48 victory and the tournament title.

Gabbie Fricke led all scorers for the Hawks with 12 and Lasenda Smith added 11 more.