Parvovirus hits Natchez animal shelter

Published 4:31 pm Monday, June 8, 2009

Officials at Natchez-Adams Humane Society’s animal shelter say overcrowding and parvovirus led to the euthanasia of 192 animals in May.

Of the 198 animals that came into the shelter last month, Humane Society Director Pat Cox says 31 died of parvovirus, the majority of which were infant cats and dogs. Parvovirus causes lethargy, fever, vomiting and severe diarrhea in animals.

With between 250 and 300 animals packed into a dilapidated and molding building, Cox says the situation has become depressing.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Of the nearly 200 animals brought to the shelter in May, just 27 were adopted.

From October 2008 through May 2009, 1,123 animals were euthanized at the humane society.