Stove caused deadly fire in Greenville

Published 11:41 pm Monday, March 16, 2009

Fire officials say a stove left unattended was the cause of a blaze that killed 2-year-old twins in Greenville.

Washington County Coroner Methel Johnson says Brentaurus Dewayne Pork and Tomara Rihana Pork were found dead inside a Greenville home Friday morning. He said an autopsy determined that smoke inhalation was the cause of death.

The state fire marshal’s office and city fire officials say the stove was turned on to provide warmth in the home.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

When firefighters arrived flames were coming out of the home. They had the blaze under control minutes later, but officials say the twins were found in a bedroom.

Two 3-year-olds and their grandmother were taken to a hospital. All three were in stable condition.