Woman dies in fire

Published 1:05 am Sunday, November 23, 2008

An accidental fire took the life of one local woman.

The fire is suspected to have been caused by smoking a cigarette in bed, and the woman’s death has been ruled accidental due to smoke inhalation. The deceased woman has been identified as, 62 year-old Pamela Randall.

At about 1:14 p.m. Friday, the Pearl River County Sheriff’s Department got the call about the fire at 357 Caesar Rd. Volunteer fire departments and Sheriff’s Department investigators were dispatched to the scene, Chief Investigator Donnie Saucier said.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Investigators and firefighters learned on arriving that Randall was still inside the home and had perished.

Preliminary investigation into the matter determined the fire may have started from a cigarette igniting the bed, Saucier said. A recent knee surgery Randall had undergone is suspected to have hindered her escape from the room after the bed caught on fire.

Pearl River County Coroner Derek Turnage said the preliminary cause of death has been ruled as smoke inhalation.