Hawks win again

Published 10:15 pm Monday, September 8, 2008

Something is brewing in Kiln and this time it isn’t Southern Pecan beer.

For the second time in as many weeks the Hancock Hawks are winners. This time it was a hard-fought 18-13 decision against cross-town rival Bay High.

In a game which saw several big plays and momentum swings as big as the Titanic, it was a simple fundamental recovery of an on-sides kick which ultimately sealed the game for the Hawks.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“I think Hancock played a great game,” Tigers head coach Brennan Compretta said. “My hats’ off to their players and coaches, they beat us.”

The game was scheduled to be played in Bay St. Louis, but Hurricane Gustav dumped a lot of water on the Bay field and the game was moved to Kiln for safety concerns.

Hancock struck first in the contest with Chris Bermond finishing the drive with a one-yard touchdown plunge. The extra point was wide-right, but the Hawks had a 6-0 lead with 4:36 to play in the first.

The Tigers struck like lighting on the next play. Josh Hawkins took a pitch and after breaking two tackles, he motored up the sideline all the way for a 96-yard touchdown. Hawkins finished the game with 210 yards on 17 carries.

Lance Tomasich added the point-after, and just like that, the Tigers had taken a 7-6 lead.

The Tigers quickly got the ball back and drove deep into Hawk territory before the play of the game unfolded.

On a first-down play at the Hawk 14, Hawkins got the handoff, but he was suddenly met by Hawk lineman J.D. Harris. Harris stripped the ball and an alert Hunter Seymour scooped it up at the 17. Seymour grabbed the ball in stride and, when he looked up, there was nothing but open field ahead. Seymour picked up a wall of blockers and rambled 83-yards for a touchdown.

“I just picked it up and went with it,” Seymour said. “The only thing I could think of is, don’t slow down.”

The Hawks attempted a two-point conversion, but good pressure from Jordan Sutherlin caused a bad throw from Gillihan.

The Hawks, however, had reclaimed the lead 12-7 with 4:39 to play in the half.

Hancock took the lead into half-time and they extended it with an impressive 12-play, 59-yard drive to open the second half.

Bermond capped the drive off with a four-yard touchdown run to make it 18-7 and the Hawks hung on for the win.