LSU will try again

Published 3:27 pm Friday, June 20, 2008

The College World Series game Thursday night between North Carolina and LSU was suspended because of rain and will be resumed Friday evening.

North Carolina led 2-0 with one out in the top of the first inning when rain and lightning moved into the area and play was stopped at 6:27.

After a delay of 3 hours, 5 minutes, the decision was made to resume Friday evening.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Games originally scheduled for Friday — Georgia against Stanford and Fresno State against the winner of the North Carolina-LSU game — will be moved to Saturday.

LSU starter Blake Martin struggled for the short time he was on the mound. He gave up a single, a double, a walk and hit two batters with pitches. He was 0-1 against Garrett Gore with the bases loaded when play was halted.

“I’d like to announce that Mike Fox has agreed to give us a mulligan and we can start the game over tomorrow,” LSU coach Paul Mainieri joked as Fox sat next to him at a news conference. “Didn’t you agree to that?”

“No,” the North Carolina coach deadpanned.

Mainieri said he didn’t know who would pitch Friday but that it was unlikely he would go back to Martin.

Matt Harvey was scheduled to start for Carolina on Thursday. Fox said he would talk with pitching coach Scott Forbes Thursday night before deciding whether he’ll go with Harvey on Friday.

Thunderstorms had been forecast for Thursday evening, and a line of showers was moving toward Omaha at game time.

“I wish the game had never started,” Mainieri said. “I’m not second-guessing their decision. I’m sure they made the decision they thought was right. But somebody had told me they thought the rain was going to start within a half-hour or 45 minutes of game time, and no baseball coach wants to start a baseball knowing that his starting pitcher is going to have to deal with that. On the other hand, how do you not start a game when it’s not raining?”

It was the first time since 2000 and seventh in the past 30 years that a CWS game had been suspended or postponed.