Robberies in Picayune solved

Published 5:12 pm Thursday, March 6, 2008

Picayune Police arrested a suspect the next day for the strong arm robbery reported to have taken place at Claiborne Hill parking lot while a second strong arm robbery also produced a suspect the same day it took place.

Reportedly Thursday’s strong arm robbery took place in the parking lot of Claiborne Hill at about 9:04 p.m. The suspect was described to have left the parking lot in the passenger side of a vehicle heading north on U.S. 11.

Picayune Police Department Public Information Officer Capt. Theresa Milar said Friday night at about 9:49 investigators arrested Fredrick Whitehead, 37, of 160 Whitehead Lane, Carriere was charged for his involvement in the incident. Initial reports state that Whitehead allegedly approached the victim wearing concealing clothing and demanded her purse. Whitehead then hit the victim in the arm with a closed fist, took the purse and got into the passenger side of a vehicle and left the scene.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Whitehead has been charged with strong arm robbery.

Also arrested for her involvement in the incident was Allison Stockstill, 26, of 3199 Jackson Landing Rd., Apt. D-24. Stockstill was charged with accessory after the fact for strong arm robbery.

The suspects had apparently used the victim’s ATM card at a county business. Through information provided by a confidential informant the two suspects were arrested at Dolly’s Quick Stop in Kiln, Milar said.

Another strong arm robbery occurred Saturday at 1105 Martin Luther King Blvd., apparently the suspect’s home. Picayune Police received a 911 call at about 6:20 a.m. after the victim was assaulted by an individual for not giving change for counterfeit bills, Milar said.

Milar said the suspect, Arlis Hathorne, 25, of 1105 Martin Luther King Blvd., was attempting to get change for counterfeit bills. When the victim noticed the bills were fake he refused to give change for them. A verbal altercation ensued that later turned physical. During the physical altercation Hathorne allegedly attempted to take a $100 bill from the victim’s pocket, but the victim was able to get away and call 911, Milar said.

Hathorne was charged with strong arm robbery that same day.

Milar said Chief Jim Luke would like to thank the department and its investigators for bringing these two incidents to a quick resolve. He appreciates the hard work and dedication the officers put into ensuring the safety of the public.