Man accosted for five dollars

Published 5:06 pm Friday, January 4, 2008

In November of 2007 a Carriere man was attacked by four unknown individuals, who made off with only $5.

Cindy Hayes said her son, Joey Hayes, was attacked near Washington Street while walking to a nearby store to buy a pack of cigarettes. Joey Hayes is hearing impaired so he described the incident by sign language to his mother who translated what he had to say about the events that took place at about 6:23 p.m. on Nov. 29.

Apparently as Joey Hayes, 24, was walking to the store to buy that pack of cigarettes, he was jumped by four individuals wearing masks. Initially one of the attackers hit Hayes from behind but he fought back, striking one assailant in the eyebrow. Hayes said he remembered the assailant he hit was wearing an eyebrow piercing because it cut his hand. Hayes’ attempt to fight back caused the other three attackers to jump him. Some used what were described as sticks and other dull weapons to inflict cuts to Hayes’ neck, throat and body. The $5 Joey Hayes had on him at the time of the attack to purchase the cigarettes was taken during the attack.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

After the attack Joey headed to the nearest convenience store to clean himself up in the bathroom. A clerk at the store saw him run in to the store and head straight to the bathroom, Cindy Hayes said. When he came out of the bathroom he was using paper towels to cover the wound on his neck. The clerk called a friend of hers who is an EMT, but dHayes made his way home before the EMT arrived at the store. The EMT was able to find Joey at his home and looked him over. After the cuts were determined to be mostly minor, the EMT told Cindy Hayes that he would still need stitches. Twelve stitches were later applied to seal the wound on his neck.

“I’m just thankful he was able to fight them off and get there to the store,” Cindy Hayes said.

The wound on Hayes’ neck has healed, but a scar remains.

Cindy Hayes said she is especially worried since there are other people in the community, including another hearing impaired individual. The newly constructed walking track nearby also causes her to fear for her son and others’ safety.

“I just think they need to be careful, maybe walk in groups,” Cindy Hayes said. “’Cause it ain’t like it used to be anymore. It’s sad but it’s true.”

Numerous calls to the Pearl River County Sheriff’s Department have not provided Cindy Hayes with any information pertaining to the capture of any suspects.

Chief Investigator Shane Tucker said the incident appears to be a random act of violence so the department has not made any connections on a motive.

Investigators have been working some leads, but so far there has not been enough evidence to make arrests at this time. He asks anyone who has information pertaining to the case to call him at 601-403-2530.