Vancleave drops PRC

Published 10:20 pm Saturday, September 8, 2007

Pearl River Central celebrated Homecoming before Friday nights game against Vancleave.

After the kickoff, though, it was the visiting Bulldogs that did the majority of the rejoicing.

Vancleave jumped out to a quick 14-0 lead mid-way through the opening quarter, and then relied on a stout defensive effort to cruise to a 28-7 win over the Blue Devils at Hendrix Stadium.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

The decision evens both teams mark at 1-1 on the young season, after PRC opened with a win over South Jones and Vancleave fell to Long Beach in the opening week.

“We knew they were a good team, they turned the ball over eight times against Long Beach or else they would could have won that game and we know how good Long Beach is,” PRC second year head coach Jeremy Weir said. “I’ve got a lot of respect for their program. They are a solid team.”

Vancleave wasted no time in taking a lead it would never relinquish, as on the first play from scrimmage Eric Vaughn broke through the PRC defense for a 70-yard scoring scamper.

Then, after holding the Blue Devils in check on their first possession, the Bulldogs were right back at it as Dre Whittle broke loose on a 27-yard touchdown run. The Bulldogs were up 14-0 with 5:30 to play in the opening frame.

“They jumped on us quick, we had some break downs,” Weir added. “They put us in a early hole.”

Whittle, who ran for a game high 134 yards on 13 carries, put the Bulldogs in scoring position again early in the second stanza as he bolted 63 yards to the PRC three yard line.

Vancleave quarterback Hugh Humphrey covered that distance on a keeper on the next play, as the Bulldogs took a 21-0 lead into halftime.

Meanwhile, the Vancleave defense refused to let PRC get much going on offense most of the night.

“We just never could get anything consistent going on offense,” Weir added. “It was just one of those nights. They were stronger than we were up front.”

The Blue Devils avoided a shut out in the fourth period, as quarterback Blake Herrin hooked up with Cody Ladner on a leaping 21-yard scoring strike.

Whittle would end the scoring with just over a minute to play on a 3-yard run.

Jabbar Locure had an interception for PRC and defensive back Caston Dyle made several key stops. Brant Graham also had a 55-yard kickoff return for PRC, which travels to Forrest County AHS Friday.