Suspect nabbed in bomb threats
A suspect has been apprehended in relation to the bomb threats at Picayune Memorial High School earlier this week, according to a press release from the Picayune Police Department.
According to the release, a 15-year-old juvenile male was questioned as a result of investigations by the Criminal Investigations division of the police department.
Brent Harrell, Picayune Municipal Separate School District assistant superintendent, said in a phone interview that the suspect was a student at the school, and apparently did not have any accomplices.
“From all indications, he acted alone, and he is responsible for both Monday’s and Tuesdays’ threats,” Harrell said.
According to the release, the juvenile admitted to making the threats when questioned by police officers.
“The juvenile was arrested and charged with two counts of false report of placing an explosive (bomb threat),” the release states.
Monday’s threat was written on a wall in a boys’ restroom at the high school, and was reported around 1 p.m. Tuesdays threat was on a note found in the hallway close to a restroom, and was reported around noon. Both threats caused a lockdown and evacuation of the school’s grounds until a complete search of the buildings and grounds could be made.
The teen has been taken to a juvenile detention facility in Natchez where he awaits action in Youth Court. According to the release, if convicted of the charges, the juvenile could receive up to a ten year prison sentence and a $10,000 fine.