Hancock loses again

Published 10:16 pm Saturday, September 8, 2007

The Hancock Hawks 2007 home opener was more of a night to forget, as the Hawks bumbled, stumbled, and fumbled their way to their 25th straight loss with an uninspired 41-6 defeat at the hands of cross-town rivals Bay High.

The Hawks ineptitude was complete, as they turned the ball over six times, dropped six passes, and committed more than 125 yards in penalties, including five personal fouls or unsportsman-like- conduct penalties.

Head coach Brian Barkley was not available for comment after the game, and he held a half-hour private meeting with the team in the locker room.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

The Tigers used good field position to struck early and often as the jumped out to a quick 21-0 lead.

Josh Hawkins opened the score with a 4-yard run in the first quarter after a 48 yard-drive on nine plays.

Early in the second quarter the Hawks took a gamble and went for a fourth and one at their own 18. The Tiger defense stuffed a rush by Dustin Johnson, and a penalty have the Tigers the ball at the eight. Chaquelle Lewis score on the next play for the Tigers.

On the next Hawks possession a bad snap on a punt attempt, gave the Tigers the ball at the one.

Colby Adam plunged in for the one-yard touchdown, and with 8:33 to play in the half, the route was on 21-0.

The Hawks caught a break late in the half, when Adam Barradel recovered a Tiger fumble at the five.

Johnson would score from two-yards out with just :20 seconds to play in the half. The touchdown gave the Hawks a little momentum going into the half only down 21-6.

The momentum would quickly diminish, as the Tigers took control in the third quarter.

Tony Connetti scored twice and Lewis added another score to make the score 41-6 at the end of the third quarter.

A scoreless fourth quarter rounded out the game, as the Tigers played mostly second string players.

The Hawks struggled to move the ball on offense. The Hawks picked up only eight first downs, with three of them coming by way of penalty.

Hancock will face off against another rival next week when the travel to St.Stanislaus.