Bomb threat at PMHS on Monday

Published 5:22 pm Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A bomb threat caused a lockdown at Picayune Memorial High School on Monday afternoon, but a thorough search of the school revealed no explosive devices, according to a press release from the Picayune Police Department.

Picayune Municipal Separate School District assistant superintendent Brent Harrell said the threat was written on the wall of the boys’ bathroom and was reported to school officials between 12:45 and 1 p.m. School officials then contacted the Picayune Police Department.

According to the release, Picayune Police and Fire Department members arrived on scene around 1:06 p.m., and immediately evacuated the high school.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“The High School was immediately evacuated and a perimeter was established to close off the area around the school. Search teams were assigned to different areas of the building and the search was underway,” stated the release.

Harrell said the campus was locked down, with no one able to enter or leave the campus.

“The lockdown was lifted around 2:05 (p.m.), and students returned to their classes,” Harrell said.

According to the release, no explosive devices were found on campus following an extensive search of the buildings and grounds.

Parents at the scene had mixed reactions to the situation.

Tammy Naquin, whose daughter is a senior at PMHS, was upset because her daughter could not leave the campus.

“She has a doctor’s appointment, and she was in her car to leave campus, and they stopped her. I don’t know why they couldn’t have let her go ahead and leave,” Naquin said.

Amy Crowe, who is the parent of a high school student and a junior high student, was not particularly alarmed.

“They have these (bomb threats) about once every year. I mean, you get a little worried, but it’s usually nothing,” Crowe said.

A call for comment to Picayune Deputy Chief of Police David Ervin had not been returned at press time.