Man burned in meth lab fire dies

Published 3:27 pm Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A D’Iberville man who suffered third-degree burns to 80 percent of his body last week while cooking methamphetamine in a shed has died, authorities said.

Wade David Collinsgru Jr., 38, suffered burns from a meth-lab fire on the east side of Harrison County just hours after deputies stopped “a rolling methamphetamine lab” on the county’s west side, Sheriff George H. Payne Jr. said.

Collinsgru was transported in a private vehicle to Biloxi Regional Medical Center and then transported to a burn center in Baton Rouge, where he died Friday, Payne said.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Payne said deputies investigating the July 17 fire found chemicals used to make methamphetamine and believe the fire started while Collinsgru was cooking a batch of meth in a shed on Pierce Road.