Fire destroys home

Published 7:05 pm Friday, July 13, 2007

An accidental fire destroyed a home on Sones Chapel Road Wednesday night.

McNeill Fire Chief Melvin Glidewell said the call came in to the department at about 7 p.m. that night. He said he was in church at the time, next door to the station, and when he heard the sirens he knew it must have been a serious call since usually the department does not sound off when called out at that time.

While the family was having dinner they heard a loud boom, and then the house was on fire, Glidewell said. The cause of the fire has been ruled as accidental, Glidewell said. The fire chief said it is possible a barbecue pit near the house was the cause of the fire.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

When fire fighters responded seven minutes after getting the call they found the house fully involved. All they could do is try to keep the fire cool enough so it would not melt the power lines or catch surrounding structures on fire, Glidewell said.

No injuries were reported due to the fire.

Glidewell said the firefighters were working the scene until about 10:30 p.m.

Four other departments assisted to the call, Southeast, Carriere, Henleyfield and Derby. About 20 fire fighters were on scene, 11 of which were from McNeill’s department.