Grease fire burns apartment building

Published 8:01 pm Tuesday, December 5, 2006

A grease fire this past weekend damaged an apartment building leaving about eight families without a place to stay.

Nicholson Fire Chief Bobby Robbins said the fire department got the call Saturday at about 9:54 a.m. and were on scene at 3199 Jackson Landing Rd., in apartment B-16 three minutes later.

The fire started on the stove as a grease fire. One of the witnesses on scene fought the fire with a fire extinguisher but the fire extinguisher was not enough, Robbins said.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“It was just too much fire for that little extinguisher to take care of,” Robbins said.

The fire then proceeded to the attic and did major damage to all eight apartments in the building, a report states. The Picayune, Pine Grove, Southeast, Carriere and one fire fighter from Lee Town fire departments helped in extinguishing the fire. After the fire was out, the Nicholson Fire Department stayed on scene taking care of hot spots until about 1 p.m., Robbins said.

No injuries were reported as a result of the fire, Robbins said.