New WN cases popping up in southernmost counties

Published 6:24 pm Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Two new West Nile virus cases have been reported in Harrison County after a six-week stretch in which no new cases of the disease were reported in Mississippi’s six southernmost counties.

At the end of each week, the Mississippi Department of Health issues a WNV report, and for the 2006 season, that report includes 174 known human cases of the mosquito-borne disease. There are no new Mississippi deaths from WNV, leaving the 2006 death toll at 10.

Last year at this time, MDH reported 70 WNV cases with six deaths.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

State Health Officer Dr. Brian Amy reminds people that although cooler weather is here and Mississippi is out of the traditional WNV peak season, residents should still avoid mosquito bites.

The latest four WNV cases were reported in Harrison, Hinds and Marion counties.

For the six southernmost counties for 2006, MDH’s updated list has Harrison County with 11 reported cases and Hancock, Stone, Jackson and Pearl River counties each with one case and no cases in George. The Mississippi counties with the most WNV cases this year are: Forrest with 30, Hinds with 18 and Rankin with 17.

MDH says about 80 percent of people infected with WNV will have no symptoms. The remaining 20 percent may experience a range of flu-like symptoms and in a small number, infection can result in encephalitis or meningitis which can possibly lead to death.

On the Web: Mississippi Department of Health,