Hawks fall to Gulfport

Published 5:10 am Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Hancock Hawks scored 20 points for the first time in 29 games Friday evening, but it would not be enough for a victory, as the Gulfport Admirals scored seven consecutive touchdowns to down the Hawks 46-20.

The Hawks came out swinging taking their opening drive 81-yard for the games first score.

Adrain Whavers, who totaled 166 on 22 carries for the night, got 54 of them on a toss play which he took all the way for the initial score.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

The extra point failed, but the Hawks has accomplished taking their first lead of the year 6-0.

The Hawks kept the early momentum going when the ensuing kickoff bounced off a Admirals and was recovered by Aaron Baredell at the 23.

After a bruising run by Dustin Johnson to the six, Chris Jochum scored his first touchdown of the year on a six yard end around.

The point after failed again, but with 6:26 to play in the first quarter, the Hawks were stunning the Admirals 12-0.

Gulfport answered right away on what would become the first of seven consecutive touchdowns.

The Admirals drove 66 yards in eight plays before Admiral quarterback Ladd Rhodes took a keeper 17-yards for a score.

The point after made the score 12-7.

Trying to keep the momentum, the Hawks drove 10 plays to reach the Admiral 30. The drive ended when quarterback Keagon Gillihan’s fourth down pass was knocked down in the red-zone.

Eight plays, the Admirals were in the end-zone again, with Rhodes once again keeping, this time from four yards.

The next Hawks drive was thwarted by a fumble and after a four play drive, the Admirals scored the third touchdown in a row with just two minutes to play in the first half.

Trying to drive the ball back into scoring position before the half, Gillihan was knocked out the game by a hard hit.

Head Coach Brian Barkley said afterwards Gillihan suffered a broken collar bone and a possible concussion. Barkley said this hurt the Hawks chances.

“We were playing well before Keagon got hurt,” he said. “Our offense was moving the ball well.”

The Hawks came out flat in the second half and the Admirals took advantage as the racked up four more touchdowns to make the score 46-12.

Beau Shubert was able to block two extra point attempts and Brandon Hess blocked another, but the Admirals had taken complete controll. With less than three minutes left, the Hawks cashed in on a muffed put.

Backup quarterback Brian Armeda lofted a nice pass to Brently Necaise, who broke a tackle and ran into the end zone for a 37-yard touchdown. Jochum ran in the two-point conversation and the score tightened to 46-20.

The Admirals would run out the clock and enjoyed their first victory of the year.

Johnson had a nice evening offensively as he totted the rock for more than 80 yards.

Along with his tocuhdown, Necaise had 15 tackles, three of which were behind the line of scrimmage. Shubert collected eight tackles.

The Hawks (0-6) will host the Petal Panthers next week. It will be senior night at “The Nest.”