By Jeremy Pittari, Item Staff Writer
The Picayune Item
The survivor of a house fire that occurred early Thursday morning is looking for the two men who woke her up and saved her life.
Gail Adkins, the widow of the late Sam Adkins, said at about 4:30 Thursday morning she awoke to sound of a man knocking on her door. When she answered the door she was met by a man who told her that her home was on fire, and she needed to leave.
Instead of leaving right away Adkins attempted to find the pets she was caring for, many who belonged to family members who are out of town, she said. While many of the animals are accounted for, including one 13-year-old cat who stayed in the home the entire time and lived, she is looking for a rat terrier that is white in color and has a pink tag on its collar. The small dog has been missing since the fire occurred.
As she attempted to get the animals out of the home, another man knocked on the front door, also insisting she get out of the home, Adkins said.
The identity of the two men is unknown to Adkins, but she would like to thank them personally for their presence of mind to awaken her when they saw smoke coming from the roof of her home.
“If he had not woke her up, she would have died,” said Samantha Seal, Adkins’ daughter.
Adkins, who lived alone in the home, was unharmed as were all of the pets she was caring for.
For now, Adkins will stay with family members, but has no intention of rebuilding. She said since her three children are adults she has no need for such a large home.
Seal said the firemen who responded to the fire were “awesome” because they took the time to rescue valuable photos of her late father while the fire raged in the attic.
Picayune Fire Marshal Pat Weaver said while it’s hard to pin point the exact spot where the fire originated, he suspects the cause to be electrical.